Botswana has a population of just over 2.5 million people. Older persons in Botswana represent approx. 7 percent of the population in 2020 but this is predicted to increase to just under 15 percent by 2050. There is widespread receipt of state pensions in Botswana. The state has a National Focal Point on ageing and a national strategy / plan on ageing.
The team in Botswana is led by Prof Dolly Ntseane (Department of Social Sciences and Social Work, University of Botswana) and Dr. Gwen Lesetedi (Department of Sociology, University of Botswana). The team will be working in 4 sites in the country with a team of 10 researchers.
updated: 5 December 2023
For more recent publications about family care of older persons in Namibia see …
- Mhaka-Mutepfa, M., & Wright, T. C. (2022). Quality of Life of Older People in Botswana. The International Journal of Community and Social Development, 4(1), 104–126.
- Wright, A (2018) “There is no care here”: The Conflictual Ethics of Kin and Bureaucratic Care in Botswana. PhD Thesis, Washing University.
- Bainame, K., Burnette, D., & Shaibu, S. (2014). Socio-demographic Correlates of Older Adults’ Living Arrangements in Botswana. Botswana Notes and Records, 46, 106–120. https://www.jstor.org/stable/90024366
- Kgosietsile Maripe (2010) Modernization Of The Family Support System (FSS) and the Social Needs Of The Elderly (SNE): The Case of Botswana
- Shaibu S, Wallhagen MI. (2002) Family caregiving of the elderly in Botswana: boundaries of culturally acceptable options and resources. J Cross Cult Gerontol. 17(2):139-54. doi: 10.1023/a:1015886307661. PMID: 14617970.
- Livingston J(2003) Reconfiguring old age: Elderly women and concerns over care in southeastern Botswana, Medical Anthropology, 22:3, 205-231, DOI: 1080/01459740306771
- Ingstad, Benedicte. 2004. “The Value of Grandchildren: Changing Relations Between Generations in Botswana.” Africa 74 (01): 62–75. https://doi.org/10.3366/afr.2004.74.1.62
Are you a journalist seeking expert comment on family caregiving or older persons issues or The Family Caregiving Programme?